👋 I’m Fredrik - I started playing around with Linux and UNIX in the late 90’s, you know back in the day when you could use Hotmail with Lynx (a text based web browser). I’ve been doing everything from building and deploying servers on-premise, operating mission critical systems such as online banking, trading applications, to doing the same in the cloud. Sort of crazy how much easier things have gotten throughout the years.
This background and a keen interest in all things related to the Internet such as networking, servers and other infrastructure pieces really helps me today whenever I need to build & deploy a web service, sure I might not now top of mind what the AWS service is called for managing network access but I know what to look for :).
After about 9 years I left a cozy job at a large Swedish financial institution where I was working within the capital markets FX division, mostly doing business/product development, project management and enterprise architecture.
So why did I leave that cozy job? The reason was that I was able to raise some money to focus full time on my now “real” startup.
I was running that startup for a couple of years, we built a fascinating SaaS application, unfortunately we weren’t able to get enough traction to sustain it but that’s a story for another day.
In between all of this I’ve either built from scratch or had a lead role in creating 14+ SaaS solutions, some more successful than others. In addition to this I’ve also helped create a number of services while doing consulting.
My tools of the trade #
Some call it jack of all trades, others an 80%‘er, and that pretty much fits my description quite well. Over the years I’ve done things from flipping burgers, working as an IT administrator, military service (conscription and deployment in Afghanistan), UNIX sysadmin, IT and Enterprise Architect, Business developer, web developer and business consultant.
I know a bit about a lot of things and what really gets me going is to just make things better:
- it could be a business process that isn’t working well
- a team that isn’t working together
- some tech problem that can be solved by code, or just doing things differently.
- an outdated system that should be replaced
“Weird skills” #
Extremely good at communicating IT in a non IT way and an absolute pleasure to work with!
Some people might also call these soft skills
- A business mindset
- I always want to make things better for people (employees, customers, stakeholders)
- Being able to see the full picture
- Able to identify when we should use off the shelf solutions and when to build something.
- Can quite quickly identify ways to integrate existing solutions to maximize the business impact
- I like to have fun and help people grow!
Tech stuff #
I’ve done pretty much everything from web development to App development using hybrid frameworks such as Ionic (way back with AngularJS).
This is some tech stuff I’ve spent the most amount of time with.
- Echo (Go web micro framework)
I’ve dabbled with #
Things I’ve used but not necessarily that often.
- SvelteJS (really like it)
- React Native
I like to run my stuff in #
This is where I usually deploy, operate and maintain services now a days.
- Google App Engine
- Google Kubernetes Engine
- AWS elastic beanstalk
- AWS EC2
- Mostly using Postgres for data store, dabbled with Firestore, MongoDB and similar)
These are the development workflows I usually do when deploying stuff
- CI/CD stuff in Google Cloud, Azure and Github Actions, I’ve have set things up from scratch and also helped improve existing workflows
Keeping my code in #
Some off the shelf products I’ve worked quite a bit with #
Different products that I’ve spent quite some time working with.
- Hubspot (email automation, website builder, forms, sequences, building apps etc..)
- Mailchimp (and other email automation tools)
- Google Analytics
- Google Tag Manager